One of the questions we hear again and again is, “Which is better, rooftop or ground-mounted solar panels?” They both have their advantages, but which is best for you?
In a recent post, we explored the advantages of rooftop solar, so we thought we’d take a moment to explore the advantages of a ground-mounted system.
Benefits of Ground-Mounted Solar Systems
Ground-mounted solar power systems have several advantages that may make them preferable to rooftop-mounted panels. An obvious advantage is you don’t need to put any holes in your roof. Excess holes in the roof can lead to leaks and higher maintenance costs if solar mounting is not installed properly.
Here are some other benefits:
- Ideal Angle: Your roof may not be situated at the best angle to maximize solar energy production; ground-mounted systems can be ideally placed wherever they need to be.
- Better Efficiency: Solar panels prefer to be kept cool. Ground-mounted systems have room below them to allow air to circulate freely.
- Ease of Maintenance: Solar panels work best when they are kept clean and dust free. Ground-mounted solar panels can be cleaned and serviced without anyone having to climb on the roof.
- Panel Longevity: Your solar power system may well outlast your roof. Your roof-mounted system must be disassembled and reassembled before and after your roof can be worked on.
- Future Expansion: There is usually not room to expand a rooftop mounted solar panel system; this is typically not a problem with a ground-mounted system.
How Much Can Ground-Mounted Save You Energy Costs?
Whether it is mounted on your roof or on the ground, lower electric bills are one of the best things about solar power systems. No matter how much you pay per month for your electricity, you will save money by using solar energy. You will start saving money right away, and your system will probably pay for itself through lower power bills within five to seven years.
Every piece of property is unique, and presents its own challenges. Fill out our estimate request form, and one of our technicians will evaluate your situation free of charge.