2016 marked the biggest increase in U.S. solar installations, nearly doubling the previous record for new installations. In fact, solar surpassed natural gas to become the No. 1 source of new electrical capacity installations last year.
Why are so many home and business owners choosing to go solar these days? The answer is simple: It’s a great investment.
6 Reasons to Invest in Solar
- Affordable. If you still think of a solar investment as being out of reach of the average household, think again. Just 10 years ago, the price of installing solar panels in the U.S. averaged around $9 per watt. Today, it’s typically less than $3 per watt, which makes it competitive with conventional technologies in many areas. In addition, as solar has entered the mainstream, it’s become easier than ever to secure financing — even zero-down financing in some cases — for a solar panel investment.
- Reduced energy bills. An installed solar photovoltaic system starts paying itself back from day one. Depending on the size and type of your system and your energy use, a solar PV system can slash 50 to 100 percent off your monthly utility bill.
- Low maintenance costs. One of the greatest perks of solar energy is its reliability. With no moving parts, a PV system is subject to very little wear and tear. Once installed, you can expect your solar panels to crank out power year after year with very little need for maintenance.
- Energy security. No one likes to think of worst-case scenarios, but in our post-9/11 world, it’s important to consider security issues. From a national or regional standpoint, the distributed energy production model that rooftop solar represents is much harder to target than the conventional model of huge centralized power plants. Looking at it from a personal point of view, a solar system with battery backup can keep your home or business powered even if the grid goes down due to severe weather events.
- Retirement security. Investing in solar is a great way to prepare for your golden years, because it effectively locks in low energy costs at a time when your income is likely to be static. The average payback for solar panels in the U.S. these days is eight years. You can expect your solar panels to last 25 or 30 years. It’s not uncommon for them to last many years longer. A solar array installed when you are a few years from retirement will deliver effectively free energy just when you need it — even if the cost of conventional fuels goes through the roof.
- Environmental responsibility. We are all citizens of Planet Earth. Solar panels generate the power you need without pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, creating acid rain, or spewing particulate, chemicals or radiation into the environment. It’s simply the right thing to do.
Thinking About Investing in Solar Energy for Your Home or Business?
Is an investment in solar panels the right move for you? Like any investment, you’ll need to crunch the numbers to know for sure. The best place to start is to assess your property’s suitability for solar. Contact us today for a free solar estimate from one of our friendly and knowledgeable techs!